Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Peeking Through the Lens...

Those of you who know me well know that I love photography. I may not do it as often as I'd like, but I enjoy being behind a camera. I did fight the digital revolution (and still prefer 35mm), but digital is easier when you're dealing with the internet. Scanning regular images, as well as all the expense involved, makes it something I save for what I deem most important. Some sightseeing and paranormal adventures require tangible photos worthy of frames. The rest, well, I'll settle for a digital.

I've been a member of Flickr for a few years now, I think. It was only recently that I actually bothered uploading any photos onto the site. It's easy and a good way to get some exposure for any images you've captured... and, for some, a way of sharing other people's photographic work. For me, it's a way of sharing some of the things I've photographed (and bothered saving the images for) with new people, friends, and anyone else. I'm very picky about what I place on it.

But today, I finally uploaded some new images from this past weekend. I had the great pleasure of going to a small family gathering (not my family) in Valley View at one of the "haunted" places in the Cuyahoga Valley: Edmund Gleeson House. I was invited by a Gleeson family descendant who still lives nearby, and took the chance to get a sneak peek inside the rehabilitated home. I met the owner, listened sheepishly as the Gleeson descendant went on and on about my book to everyone (she even gave they mayor of Valley View a copy... I shook his hand), and poked around the old farmhouse. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I went for it.

Everyone was pleasant. A few of the teenagers in the room immediately wanted to know more about the "ghost". The other Gleeson house down the road (occupied by the descendant) is also haunted, apparently. I maintained my usual speculative distance from any firm answers about the hauntings. I've never experienced anything nor have I investigated anything, therefore it could just be legend. We had an interesting discussion of local legends, like "Hell Town", as well.

I didn't overstay my welcome and had plans, so the visit was brief. But I did get to snap a few photos inside before leaving. I gave the owner a copy of the book as well, for curiosity's sake. The National Park Service did an incredible job on the home. I would have taken more photos, but the place was packed with guests and family and I didn't want to intrude too much.

To see these and some of the other photos from the Cuyahoga Valley (as well as other random images from the past few years), just go to my Flickr photostream.

No comments: