Monday, March 31, 2008

Supernatural Spotlight: Antonio R. Garcez

I don't have a single drop of Native American blood coursing through my veins. That does not mean I'm not extremely curious about the myths, lore, and history surrounding the early civilizations of the Americas. And oddly enough, I've had a few unexplainable experiences involving Native spirits during my life... experiences which still sometimes haunt me to this day.

In our modern times, the Eastern Woodland tribes of the Midwest are a distant memory. We are left with a few artifacts (arrowheads, mounds, and sparse monuments) acknowledging their existence in the region over thousands of years. The few whom were left were forced West in the early 1800s and late 1700s. Some descendants still can be found in the Southwest, though much of the original cultures are forgotten.

A few years ago, I stumbled across Antonio Garcez's website while browsing paranormal topics. It was sheer coincidence that someone mentioned his name and recommended his work. I bookmarked his site and ventured on with my research, soon forgetting the page in my hundreds of saved links.

Many months later, an email from the author reawakened my intrigue. He combines two of my favorite topics: Native American history and the paranormal. His books reveal hints of "entities" throughout Colorado, New Mexico, and other scenic, arid areas of the United States. On a backdrop of adobe homes and graceful canyons, the spirit world comes alive once more.

Not only is his website beautifully designed, but his work is truly outstanding. Before he came along, most books dealing with "ghost towns" failed to mention the supernatural aspects of these places. Starting in New Mexico, he began scouring the Southwest in search of ghosts. He spoke with regular people and discovered a fount of tales and plans to embark on further explorations around the country. There is even talk of television and film work based on his writing.

I have to admire the mavericks of the world who blaze new trails in the paranormal community. People like Garcez keep the field interesting...

1 comment:

Chris said...

wow! Great stuff, I am getting more into the Native American things as well just reciently becasue I live in a are that had alot of tribes and all and have felt like they still are roaming among us if you know what I mean.