Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Popularity Contest...

It never ceases to amaze me the Google searches people type in that lead them to Spooked! I review them every so often when curiosity piques. Some are just absurd. Others are about people and places I've mentioned. Yet two specific search terms bring people here most often: Corpsewood and Chip Coffey.

Why? Well, let's review them.

Corpsewood Manor (yes, that was its real name) is a rural Georgia ruin: the site of a grizzly murder in the 1980s. Because of this, it is allegedly haunted by victims Charles Scudder and Joseph Odom, as well as one of their beloved pets. Some say it was a hate crime, instigated by narrow-minded people not so kind toward a gay couple (or jilted by unaccepted advances). Other evidence insists it was a robbery gone awry. I've researched the haunting and it's included in my upcoming book, Queer Paranormal. The isolated place has become an enigma and a favorite place to investigate for many people. Though I haven't yet had the pleasure (or terror, depending on whom you ask) of visiting it, a few friends have. It's legendary. It's dangerous. And it seems that everyone wants to know more about it.

Chip Coffey is a psychic, best known for his regular appearances on Paranormal State and Psychic Kids. Loved by some, hated by others, he is often a topic of rumors, speculation, and gossip (after all, people love to gossip). I do tend to mention him a lot on here. Why? Because I like him on a human level. We think alike in many ways and share many viewpoints. He, too, is a survivor. And he's realistic in his approach to both the paranormal and life. His ability to tell it like it is can be too much for some people to swallow; his fame makes him a prime target for anyone who thinks psychics are a joke. But the more visible anyone is, the more rotten fruit is thrown at them. I've refrained from commenting on here about any of his psychic ability, but that's simply because I don't know. I've never had a reading from him so I can't judge accuracy. And that's true with many psychics I know.

Like FOX News, I try to be "fair and (mentally un-) balanced". I point out both sides of most situations and beliefs, yet I find humor wherever possible. And controversial topics are unavoidable. But I mention the things, people, and places that intrigue, amuse, and enlighten me. Sometimes, these topics jive with what others find interesting, as is proved by Google. Other times, I'm way off base. But that's part of the chaos that is Spooked! And I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

Camevil said...

I never heard of Corpse Manor, and the events upon which the legend is based is deeply sad on many levels. So, I look forward to reading about it in your book.