Sunday, September 12, 2010

Ever-Changing Phantoms and Life Marching Forward...

This November, there's a very good chance I'll be visiting another location mentioned in my book, Queer Hauntings. I am quite excited to have chances to visit the places I've researched, especially when they aren't so close to the Midwest. I've also added another travel destination to my explorations in the coming months. It feels good to be getting out into the world in broader and broader circles. And as a reader of my blog, I'm sure there's a lot more interest when I'm writing from somewhere other than Ohio.


I've learned that writing about haunted businesses can have its drawbacks. Given our economy and the natural uncertainty of businesses, ownership can change without much notice. Some inns and such can close their doors before anything is published or written, which I encountered during my trip last October to Salem. I heard about a haunted gay-owned bed & breakfast but at the time of my arrival, it was closed until further notice. At the Inn on Washington Square, there had been a death in the family and the innkeepers were out of town and uncertain about the inn's future. I had intended to list it in the back of my book, but was unsure about whether it would still be in existence by the time my book went to press.


Since finishing writing Queer Hauntings and its publication, there have been changes to some places I've spoken about in some of the chapters. A couple of inns no longer are gay-owned and some businesses have fallen on bad times and vanished. Other landmarks have undergone changes which nearly ruled them out as suitable for the intent of my book. Yet there are always a few surprises. I was getting ready to scratch one place from my list when suddenly I was informed of another ghost story attached to it. I'll be exploring this international locale in November and (while struggling with the language barrier) trying my best to uncover the truth behind it. Other information regarding the well-known haunting has come into light as well... revealing a far more sinister plot behind the many deaths at the site. But you'll have to wait to find out more...


With all these new developments and the slow process of gathering new places for a sequel, I've been giving some thought to a revised and expanded edition of the book instead of a second volume. I have also met one of my goals: to find ONE haunted place in Australia to add to the mix. And lucky for me, I'll be able to interview the owners and spend the night there in December. I'm hoping to find more places as I explore new areas of the world, but we will see what all develops. These are exciting times. And being the only person (seriously) seeking out GLBT spooks I'm still hacking away with my machete at the undergrowth. Who knows there the blazed trail will lead next...

No comments: