Thursday, November 20, 2008

Making It Count...

This morning, I decided to take a chance and apply for the 2010 US Census slated for this coming summer. They were having the test and application process at my local library, so I really had no convenient excuse.

There were only four people in attendance, including me, so everything went by quickly and smoothly. The exam, just shy of 30 multiple-choice questions, was graded at the end so we were given instant results. I had the highest score: 100%. The instructor was a bit shocked, since he hadn't graded a perfect exam in a very long time. This includes a 17-year-old high school student who missed one recently.

So yes... I'm smarter than a high school student. Which, given the state of our educational system, doesn't say much.

Now, it's back to the waiting game to see if I'm selected. Considering the number of census records I've researched over the years, I think I could handle the work and have a decent grasp of the data collected. Plus, it's a government job... which would look quite favorable on my resume. I'm not too concerned about the background check, but we shall see what they say.

It's another opportunity to be a part of history. Every little bit counts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bet you'll be a shoo-in, & you'll be the first 2010 census-taker in my social circle--SWEET!