Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sorted Lives...

If cleanliness is next to godliness, I have a very long way to go.

Yet, this week is a time of cleaning for me. Why? Well, when your desk becomes so cluttered that finding a pen or having enough space to jot down a memo on a PostIt becomes an Olympic feat, it might be time to put a little effort into eliminating the clutter.

So, starting with my moment of insomnia two nights ago, I've been cleaning and rearranging my bedroom. I still have a few boxes of odds and ends to sort through tomorrow, but the worst is over. I now have three distinct sections in what is a rather confined space: a sleeping area, working ares, and media area. I can write without distraction (except, perhaps, the nice weather outside the window... on the rare occasion Ohio has decent weather) or head over to the opposite side of the room to read a book or watch a movie. Even with the pile of sundries to sift through, the entire space already seems larger.

I'll confess, I do have an ulterior motive. I want to become one of the rare few organized writers on this earth. I need to start using my filing cabinet again. In fact, I boxed up all my paperwork from my Cuyahoga Valley ghost book and will be putting it high atop a closet shelf to make room for new ventures. I'm closing that chapter of my life and heading onward to the future. There is much work and research to be done, so I have no doubt I'll need all the empty folders I can lay my hands on.

For now, I've filed my first new bit of present day: my query letter. once I've printed off the many documents waiting on my laptop, those too will find their way into my desk drawer... in nicely-labeled, rainbow-coloured folders.

Fitting, isn't it?

As long as I'm still here and busily writing, I may as well have a pleasant environment, void of chaos and towering trash heaps. A clean, organized space helps your mind function better on your work without as many distractions. Now is as good of a time as any to make the best of my environment. I have major work looming on the horizon, and I need to be best capable of tackling it.

No comments: