Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reading, 'Riting, and Rice...

I seem to be neglecting good literature lately, but I thought it was time for another mention of an author worth reading. A man with a rather famous last name: Christopher Rice.

Now the subjects covered in Christopher's books are not paranormal in nature, yet I felt compelled to mention him. Yes, paranormal topics and ghosts do encompass a lot of my interest, but I do not limit myself strictly to things of this nature. I read a wide range of works and enjoy thoroughly engaging topics, films, and literature.

As is often the case with me, I discovered his books by accident in a bookstore. I began with The Snow Garden before tracking back to his debut novel, A Density if Souls. Light Before Day made its way onto my bookshelf soon after it was published. I had been aware of the work of his mother, Anne Rice, for many years but it was not this connection which lured me. I have been a fan of thrillers and mysteries most of my life, so the synopses caught my attention.

I have yet to be disappointed with any of his work. Perhaps it comes from the two of us being extremely close in age (though he has accomplished far more, but I commend him for that). Even his column articles in The Advocate are worth a read. And I'll confess something else: unlike his mother's work, I have actually finished reading his books. Odds are if I begin reading something, mark my page, and lay it down, I will probably never finish it. At least in this lifetime. Then again if I read an entire novel in a day or two and schedule everything else around it, I'm going to keep that one forever.

Check out this little snippet about his newest book, Blind Fall:


For more information, be sure to visit his website. And those of you who are fans should note that another book, The Moonlit Earth, is currently being written...

No comments: