Friday, April 4, 2008

Everybody Wants to Get Stoned...

With all the excitement yesterday, I completely forgot to post an entry. But oh well, such is life sometimes...

I did have an interesting evening at a metaphysical shop with Bill and Evie. We attended a little gathering which takes place regularly on Thursdays discussing a variety of topics. There were several interesting people (interesting in a good way, though). We gabbed endlessly until finally approaching the topic for the evening: stones and crystals.

We each picked a stone from a bag. I picked amber (though from the flat, lightweight shape I pulled out I honestly thought it was accidentally a potato chip) and we all discussed the meanings attached to the stones. We then traded stones with the person next to us to see if we could "sense" anything about the person from holding it. Some people had a lot of success, but I wasn't too great at it. Then again, much of these things are relative... and meanings can be found in a plethora of symbols and images.

I've always liked rocks and minerals and once had quite a large collection. I sold it off many years ago, though, and have since forgotten the meanings behind many of the stones. It's still interesting to me, but I'm not quite sure how much belief I put into the power of crystals. I'd have to see these things more to form an opinion of it.

I did, however, have an uncomfortable moment when the owner of the shop was chatting with us. Her home was investigated by the paranormal group I belong to and we were supposed to return after sorting through the evidence. The owner said that two individuals contacted her, said the photos we thought were definitely paranormal in nature were easily explainable and that there was no worthwhile evidence gathered.

Interesting, since I never knew anything about it. What an excellent flow of communication we have! Perhaps this is part of the mounting disgust I have with everything lately. When dramatic domineering becomes the main focus of everything, I have a bad habit of becoming apathetic. Then again, it's not as though my opinions are of any consequence anyway. I'm slowly realizing that instead of getting wrapped up in melodrama, I'd rather concentrate my efforts on worthwhile endeavours with worthwhile people... you know: actually learning things, experiencing life (and death), and engaging in activities which aren't controlled by the Great Puppetmaster.

But I digress...

The two hours flew by before any of us knew it. I'm sure I'll return out of sheer curiosity... if not just to have more odd conversations with amusing people. It takes all kinds in this world... and sometimes, the oddballs are the best company to be in...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for going along with my craziness. I enjoyed the evening and may make it a regular thing. If for nothing other than the interesting company.

Chris said...

Sounds like a intersting time, great you and Bill got to experience it . I know I need I think to expand my circle with different area like this.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I love going into those kind of shops. Just went into one in Cuyahoga falls that wasn't to bad. I just bought some tarot cards I am trying to learn with. I believe stones have energy and powers (not the hollywood type) behind them but holding them for a couple minutes and then passing them... get kinda skeptical. But like you , like talking to different types of people.