Sunday, April 13, 2008

Muted Moods and Evenings Out...

I'm beginning to realize that we must be going through a global depression/apathy. Everyone I talk to is feeling "under the weather" in some form. I think humanity is beginning to shut down because of everything happening in the world today. Most of us are tired, down, and just over everything... and that seemed to almost be the theme for the weekend.

Friday's banquet was okay. I tripped over a light on the floor shortly after entering the room, which should have been a sign. Most of the people spent the whole time complaining about the food, lack of prises, and everything else they could find fault in. While outside trying to unwind with a cigarette, I had a conversation with the owner of the bowling lanes. He served time in the Gulf War and had been through a lot in life... and even he was frustrated by the crankiness in the room. He said that while in Iraq, a friend of his died in front of him. His last words were, "Fuck it, guys. I had a great time with all of you."

Definitely words to live by. Have fun with life... The rest of the bad things and drama really aren't that important.

Saturday, Bill and I had a semi-late breakfast of quiche and hash browns, followed by a long vegetation in front of the television. We both felt like sleeping all day. Maybe it was the dreary weather or something else. Evelyn arrived and we put up a little bit of wallpaper border in the enclosed porch before returning to the living room and awaiting the concert.

The theme for the concert was "Hollywood"... ironically the same theme for the banquet the previous evening. We heard music from Les Miserables, Fiddler On the Roof, Titanic, The Wizard of Oz, and many others. They may not be the Boston Orchestra, but they give it their all. I recognized much of the music and enjoyed myself nonetheless.

Afterward, Bill and Evelyn took me out to dinner. We were all a bit famished and made a good time of it. being the cheap date that I am, I had a big hamburger... with coffee to try to feel less catatonic (it didn't quite work). For the first time in what seems like forever, I actually had desert as well: vanilla bean cheesecake. With a strawberry... so part of it was healthy!

We returned to Bill's house to watch "Girls Will Be Girls" before calling it an abbreviated weekend. I made it home around 1:00 AM and managed to finally fall asleep a few hours later. I slept away the morning and still feel exhausted.

The sky is a disheartening blue-gray and the dampness in the air makes my eyelids feel like lead weights. 'Tis the season for this sort of weather, though... and in Ohio the sun never seems to be a given. I would read, but the two book choices I have aren't very cheerful. I'm not quite in the mood for a movie either.

It's just a sign of the times, I guess...

1 comment:

Liam said...

All in all still a good weekend! I found out that Chris didn't make it up Saturday night because he'd fallen down stairs at his grandparents house and injured his back.

He still made it up to see me Sunday, but he was in a lot of pain from his strained muscles. Poor dear!

When I see you again he did bring a gift for me to give you.